Sunday, October 4, 2015

Savor the Moment

Today was an uneventful day. Although as a Christian, church is an important part of my life (albeit not as regular a part for me lately), I did not go to church today. My husband had to work & my daughter was with some friends. Aside from our cat & dog, I had the home to myself. I have a huge TO DO list a mile long, yet I just wasn't "feeling it" today. Plus, I had a whopper of a migraine. Seems I get a lot of those lately, partly due to the frequent air pressure changes that come from living in an arid Pacific coast climate & partly due to the fact that I have huge sleep issues at night. After awhile, lack of sleep takes its toll.

But I went to the taco shop down the street & got some oh so yummy carne asada fries & some chocolate (breakfast of champions, right?), walked home, ate, drank some Coke & took some Ibuprofen (caffeine helps my migraines) & took a very peaceful nap on the couch with my dog Penny snuggled closely by my side. 

So why am I talking about something as boring as the mundane details of my uneventful day? Because that's just the point....it was uneventful. It was peaceful. No drama, no stress, no worries about what I should be getting done, or about doing things for anyone else. Sounds selfish perhaps, but we all need those days that we can just totally blow off & just BE. My husband was at work, my daughter was with friends, & I had the home to myself, along with the company of our dog & cat. 

We don't get much rain where I live, but today was a sprinkling, mildly wet kind of day. I was finally able to turn OFF the air conditioner (our electric bill will thank me) & open some windows. It was nice. I still hear noise outside, because living in an urban area near a canyon that borders the freeway, it is never perfectly silent. But the silence from  the stresses of life filled my day today & like the air after a fresh rain storm, I felt & still do feel somewhat refreshed...& cleansed in a way. 

So what my mundane, boring day has taught me, even as I sit here typing with the sound of the occasional  jet plane over my head, is that no matter what is going on in my life, I can still find a way to tune it out & just savor the simple pleasures of just being....& that's okay. No guilt here. We all need that now & then. My precious husband works so very hard for our family & my wish is for him to be able to savor some time when he gets home from work. Tomorrow brings my TO DO list to me, along with some new items added to it. But for today, I will savor the peace I am enjoying right now. I would encourage anyone reading this to take that time as well, even if it's just for an hour. It will do the soul some good.


Photo: Cari Kissel




 **Have an opinion about this post? I would truly appreciate your feedback in the comment section below, or in the confidential feedback form on this page.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & feedback are welcomed. Please understand that they are subject to approval first, in order to ensure that they are respectful in nature or not generated by robot programs.