Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Colors of Christmas: Red, Green...and Blue?

Photo: all-free-download.com
When people think of Christmas, what are the images that come to mind? The smell of cinnamon & pine, & of cookies right out of the oven? How about presents underneath a decorated tree? 

For me, I think of my childhood & young adult years, & Christmases spent at my parents' home. I recall how my parents never spoiled their six children, except on Christmas. We usually had a fresh 6-foot Douglas Fir, decked out with tinsel garland & ball ornaments, some of which were over 40 years old. 

The presents under the tree would stretch out several feet beyond the tree because with six kids, & multiple grandkids & great-grandkids, plus with each of us putting presents for others under that same tree, it was quite the sight on Christmas morning.



My brother Randy, opening his Christmas radio, with my mother
My brother Randy had Downs Syndrome, & he always looked forward to Christmas, & to receiving yet another radio/cassette/CD player, some movie videos, & batteries for his radios. It didn't matter if he already had 5 radios. He wanted another one. How could my parents deny him that, since he never asked for anything else, & since it gave him such joy?

Through the years however, my once-favorite holiday has become one that I dread. I'm actually surprised that I feel this way, especially because as a born-again Christian, Christmas for me has never truly been about the gifts, but about God's gift of His Son Jesus Christ (although giving gifts has always been important to me too). 

Yet here I am, only a few days from Christmas, wishing it would come & go already. The downward turn of my feelings during this time of year has its roots in my past, & in things I've experienced. I know I'm not alone. For many people, they don't see the colors of Christmas as being the traditional festive red or green, because they are feeling blue. To them I say, "join the club".

Whether someone is grieving the loss of a loved one, or they are dealing with feelings of loneliness, sadness or despair, many people find this time of year to be difficult. Some feel bad that they can't afford to buy presents. Others either have no job or they barely get by with the job that they have. Some withdraw into themselves, while others force themselves to try not to be a downer on those around them.

I find myself in the latter category. I have my reasons for feeling blue, but I am trying not to be a Grinch. Thinking of these things helps me, & if you are feeling blue as well, maybe these things can help you too:

*Every day is a gift. There are those who won't see tomorrow.

*Try sitting in a cancer center waiting room, waiting for someone you know to receive chemotherapy treatment, as I did recently, & you will come to realize that your troubles now seem small by comparison, to those who are fighting for their life. 


My son in Afghanistan, 2011 (photo used with his permission)
*Thousands of American troops are spending Christmas away from home, whether they are safe here in the U.S., or deployed to another country, or worse, to a war zone, where people want them dead. I'd venture to guess that many of those troops wouldn't mind trading places with me, at least for a day.

Photo: all-free-download.com
*Many people have no place to call home. For those who are homeless, Christmas can be a stark reminder of what they do not have. For those who live on city streets, it must be painful to see people hustling & bustling, carrying Christmas bags & packages, while Christmas for a homeless person may simply mean a warm bed & a hot meal, if they're lucky.

*Then there are those who feel forgotten in nursing/retirement homes, or who are disabled or elderly, & who can't get out much. Often times, family & friends are either too busy to visit them, don't care to, or due to situations they can't help, are unable to, despite their desire to do so.
Photo: all-free-download.com

So even though I don't feel like celebrating Christmas this year, I can't be like Scrooge & ruin Christmas for those I love. I have to change my attitude, not just for the people I care about, but for myself as well. Part of that process for me means that I have to try my best to step out of myself, & to appreciate the little blessings of each day, which when added up, can turn into big blessings.

I am going to try to put a smile on someone's face or give an encouraging word. I'm going to lend a hand to someone who may need it. 

Little by little, I hope to regain the joy of Christmas, because once upon a time, in a land far, far away, a little baby was born, & that child was laid in a manger because there was no room in the inn. Kings & wise men came from far away to worship this newborn King. Angels sang songs of praise, as they announced the birth of the Saviour who is Christ the Lord. 

His gift is gift enough. His life set the example of how we can celebrate Christmas every day, by showing the love for others that He showed for us.

So in that light.......



Have a Blessed and
Merry Christmas!!!
Photo: all-free-download.com



**Have an opinion about this post? I would truly appreciate your feedback in the comment section below, or in the confidential feedback form on this page.**



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & feedback are welcomed. Please understand that they are subject to approval first, in order to ensure that they are respectful in nature or not generated by robot programs.