Monday, December 9, 2013

Things That Go Bump in the Night

I am an insomniac. According to a sleep study I once had, my "awake brain" likes to stay active when my body is asleep. That makes for a restless enough night's sleep as it is. But when after staying up till 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning, & having turned off all the lights & finally being able to crawl into bed, trying carefully not to wake my husband, things start to go bump in the night.

It's dark, & I'm trying to settle my brain down enough to be able to finally fall asleep, but a shadow will appear in my mirrored closet doors. Just as I turn to look, it disappears. I sit up in bed, looking around me, but all I see is our little dog Maggie, curled up in her dog bed, & she's snoring, completely oblivious of the strange things going on around her.

I lie back down, pull the covers up over my shoulders, close my eyes, when all of a sudden.....

BAM!!
              THUD!!!

What was THAT?!  It's hard to sleep when there are noises going bump in the night, & shadows that disappear as soon as I take a second look.

Then ever so quietly, there is this scratching noise, getting louder & louder....it's like someone clawing their way to get in...Why does my husband & daughter not HEAR this???? Why are they not freaking out???? Why is our dog not barking??!!!

As soon as the scratching ends, there's this frantic running sound, then a loud

BUMP, CRASH, more frantic running....

and THEN......

The EERIE yowling begins.....then stops.

Just when I think I can finally relax & go to sleep, IT HAPPENS!!!

The kneading begins, my hair gets pulled, & I'm telling our cat Ella to stop all the ruckus, quit using the litter box AFTER we've all gone to bed, & settle down & go to sleep!! Can anyone relate?

"Who Me???" (don't let that innocent look fool you!!!)


**Have an opinion about this post? I would truly appreciate your feedback in the comment section below, or in the confidential feedback form on this page.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & feedback are welcomed. Please understand that they are subject to approval first, in order to ensure that they are respectful in nature or not generated by robot programs.