Monday, September 30, 2013

Show Me While I'm Living

Show me while I'm living,
That you really care.
Don't show me at my funeral,
When I'm not really there.

Don't wish me Happy Birthday,
While ignoring me just before
If you're not feeling the love at other times,
Then spare me your "birthday chore".

Please don't remember me on holidays,
Don't send me a note or text.
Because I'll know that's the last I'll hear from you,
Until another special day comes next.

For I don't want your pity love,
Nor a token or good deed
That is done to ease your conscience,
That you have somehow met my need.

You see, I only want to love you,
And to be loved in return.
But if love can be thrown away so easily,
Then I don't want what I can't earn.

I'd rather be ignored as usual,
And go about my day,
Than receive your token wish of love,
When you don't mean the words you say.

So if I should die tomorrow,
And a funeral for me is planned,
I am asking for your mercy,
When I hope you won't attend.

For love is for the living,
To be shown while we're still here...
And people need to feel that love,
From those that they hold dear.

And if that is just too hard to do,
And you have to have your space,
Then please don't do me any favors,
With your token loving grace.

I need to know you always care,
Not just on special days,
And if that is just too hard for you,
Then we should go our separate ways.

But please don't show up at my funeral,
Pretending that you care,
For if you can't show me while I'm living,
Then don't try to show me while you're there.

Photo courtesy of: all-free-download.com


© Cari Kissel 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & feedback are welcomed. Please understand that they are subject to approval first, in order to ensure that they are respectful in nature or not generated by robot programs.