Thursday, August 8, 2013

Introductions Please

I really don't think I'm all that different from anyone else. I have however, had some experiences that you just don't hear about every day. When I decided to write a blog, it was because people have told me that they've been encouraged or inspired by things I've shared, & I thought that just as I am encouraged by the experiences of others, maybe something I share can touch someone as well.

I had a pretty normal childhood, growing up with two brothers & three sisters, & two very loving parents. I was painfully shy however, which some people mistook for rudeness. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration, although I had previously been a History major. I met my first husband in college & married him afterwards. We divorced 20 years later. I have two kids, a son & a daughter, a terrific husband (I remarried), & a dog & a cat. My son is married to a wonderful woman whom I am so blessed to call my daughter-in-law (I just realized that I sound like a contestant on the Wheel of Fortune, as they are talking about their own families). Together, they have made me a grandma to the cutest little dude in the entire universe. No lie. Don't be fooled by my grandma status though. I am not old. I had my children when I was 3 years old, & I became a grandma when I was 25. Yeah, that's my story, & I'm sticking with it!

I love to read, write, & attempt to beat the medium skill level of Spider Solitaire, despite how futile my effort may be. I love the ocean & going to the beach (which is where my husband & I went on our first date & where he also proposed). I am passionate about my support for our military & for those who are vulnerable (such as the elderly, children & those who can't speak for themselves). I get a bit upset when I am aware of someone mistreating an animal. I love animals, & would be totally stoked if I could one day have a horse. I absolutely love Mexican food, chocolate, buttered popcorn & Coca Cola. When Hostess closed their doors & I could no longer eat Ding Dongs, I thought I would die. I can't tell you how glad I am to know they will grace my pantry shelves once again! I even wrote a poem when they first disappeared from stores, about how much I would miss my beloved Ding Dongs. I'm a native-born California girl, & have lived here most of my life. I tend to say "Dude!" a lot. I can't help it. It's who I am. While my son has informed me that the meaning of that word has something to do with an infected hair on the rear end of an elephant, or something along those lines, I am happy to report that Merriam-Webster Dictionary gives the same meaning to the word that I do (which has nothing to do with elephant posteriors). Whew!

So you see, I'm a pretty ordinary person. I have however, had some extraordinary experiences (& some that are not so extraordinary, but perhaps a bit weird), which I'd love to share in future blogs. Hopefully what I talk about can be an encouragement to someone. I am a born again evangelical Christian. I make no apologies for my faith & my relationship with Jesus Christ. I realize that not everyone will believe as I do, & it is not my intention to force my beliefs onto others. I don't claim to be better than anyone else, nor without fault. My family can attest to some of my faults, one of which is my incessant need to give abundant & repetitive details when I am communicating. I'm working on that. I'll let you know how that turns out! I am however, influenced in my attitudes, my convictions, & the way I deal with stress, by my faith in God, & that may be noticeable in the way that I write sometimes. I respect the beliefs of others, & hope others will respect my beliefs, whether or not we share the same viewpoints. I'm all about treating others with basic respect. I have conservative values, however I accept people for who they are & try to treat others how I would appreciate being treated. I do have a feisty side, & can be a bit ornery at times. I love a good practical joke...especially the one I pulled on my daughter's boyfriend when I pretended to not know they were dating, & feigned utter shock at having "just found out". The look on that young man's face was priceless! I am protective of my family, & have been known to be like a mother bear if someone hurts those I love, especially my kids.

I have experienced abuse in a marriage, directed toward me as well as my kids, so I do get a bit passionate about the topic of abuse. I have never believed in divorce, yet I found myself not only having been divorced, but having experienced a long, drawn-out, icky one at that. I'm quite sure it was no picnic for my ex-husband either. I almost died during pregnancy, & have dealt with chronic minor, yet annoying health conditions through the years. Both of my children were hospitalized for very serious but treatable conditions when they were very young, & my daughter had kidney surgery. I have experienced the pain of losing a child through miscarriage, & later experienced the anguish of having a child snatched in a kidnapping fashion (& thankfully returned). I grieved the deaths of my parents & a brother within an eight-month time period. I have seen my once very close extended family pulled apart after these deaths, & have experienced the loss of a relationship with a sibling. I have also worried as my son went off to war, in a country whose citizens live in a culture where life is not valued, & where every time my son drove his vehicle, he had to watch out for roadside bombs, planted by those who wanted him & the soldiers with him dead. I have experienced death threats. I have experienced poverty, job loss, & some blows to my credit rating. I have been through a lot of unpleasant stuff in my life, but I have also experienced far more joy & blessings than icky stuff. I like to think that I am a "glass is half full" type of person.

Along with my children, daughter-in-law & grandson, I am blessed to be married to a great guy, who is not only my husband, & the love of my life, but also my dearest friend. I have wonderful friends, & although my extended family isn't as close as it was before my parents died, my parents did lay a strong foundation of love, & that love does keep us together as a family that is there for one another. I have two comical pets, a dog & a cat, both of whom compete for attention & provide ample amusement. I love to laugh & be silly, & have many opportunities to do so. I live in a state with a wonderful year-round climate & awesome Mexican food within nearly every 3-4 block radius, at least in the area where I live. Most importantly, I have my God, who has brought me through my trials & who has blessed me in ways that can't be adequately measured or described in print, but one way being that I have joy & peace in my life, no matter what is going on around me.

I enjoy writing. This blog isn't about one aspect of my life, but about many aspects of it. When I had severe hyperemesis (morning sickness) so bad that I was vomiting every 10-15 minutes, 24 hours a day, for 2-1/2 months straight, & was kept alive by a central line IV that delivered nutrients as well as fluids, since I couldn't keep anything down, I wondered where the good in that situation was. I later had the privilege of being able to encourage a family member who was experiencing a similar pregnancy, & both of us ended up giving birth to healthy babies. I want to be able to write about what's important to me, with the hope that my words may encourage, inspire or motivate someone else. If I can do that, the way that others have done for me, then I will be happy indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & feedback are welcomed. Please understand that they are subject to approval first, in order to ensure that they are respectful in nature or not generated by robot programs.